2014 Lenten Series: “BECAUSE OF THE CROSS – WE CARE” Human nature tends to take care of ourselves first and use others for our own benefit. Jesus not only taught another way of living – but modeled that living to the ultimate as he lived and loved all the way to the CROSS – “for our salvation.” Therefore – “BECAUSE OF THE CROSS – WE CARE.” Our serving others is NOT because we are good and caring at heart. It is our response BECAUSE of what Jesus has and continues to do for us.
Messiah has several “hands-on” ministries that offer caring service to those in our community and in some cases through-out the world. Each Wednesday night in Lent we will focus on, lift-up, and celebrate some of these ministries as part of our congregation’s worship life.
Wednesdays of Lent:
- Noon – Holy Communion and Meditations on the Psalms
- 6:45 PM – Holden Evening Prayer/Holy Communion Lenten suppers – Begin serving – 5:30 – 6:30 PM
Each Wednesday we will need WORSHIP HELPERS: Ushers/Acolytes/Communion Assts./Nursery Assts./Lay readers/choir members. Watch for ways that you can help.
- March 12 – GOD’S PANTRY
- March 19 - KAIROS PRISON MINISTRY
- March 26 - LUTHERAN WORLD RELIEF/QUILTING
- April 2 - GAIHN (Greenville Area Interfaith Hospitality Network)
- April 9 - HABITAT FOR HUMANITY
- April 17 - MAUNDY THURSDAY
- NOON – Holy Communion
- 7:00 PM - Holy Communion (1st Communion)/Stripping of the Altar
- April 18 - GOOD FRIDAY
- NOON - Contemplative Worship
- 7:00 PM - Tenebrae (Cross procession/service of darkness)