WHEN DOES LENT BEGIN? Sooner than you might think: ASH WEDNESDAY – March 5th Imposition of Ashes and Holy Communion: Noon and 6:45 PM (Lenten suppers begin serving at 5:30 PM)
2014 Lenten Series: “BECAUSE OF THE CROSS – WE CARE” Human nature tends to take care of ourselves first and use others for our own benefit. Jesus not only taught another way of living – but modeled that living to the ultimate as he lived and loved all the way to the CROSS – “for our salvation.” Therefore – “BECAUSE OF THE CROSS – WE CARE.” Our serving others is NOT because we are good and caring at heart. It is our response BECAUSE of what Jesus has and continues to do for us.
Messiah has several “hands-on” ministries that offer caring service to those in our community and in some cases through-out the world. Each Wednesday night in Lent we will focus on, lift-up, and celebrate some of these ministries as part of our congregation’s worship life.
- Wednesdays of Lent: Noon – Holy Communion 6:45 PM – Holden Evening Prayer/Holy Communion Lenten suppers – Begin serving – 5:30 – 6:30 PM
- March 12 – GOD’S PANTRY
- March 19 - KAIROS PRISON MINISTRY
- March 26 - LUTHERAN WORLD RELIEF/QUILTING
- April 2 - GAIHN (Greenville Area Interfaith Hospitality Network)
- April 9 - HABITAT FOR HUMANITY
Each Wednesday we will need WORSHIP HELPERS: Ushers/Acolytes/Communion Assts./Nursery Assts./Lay readers/choir members. Watch for ways that you can help.
CHILDREN and HOLY COMMUNION: The Lutheran Church recognizes TWO SACRAMENTS: Holy Baptism and Holy Communion. A sacrament is God’s way of “embracing “ us with His love in a way that goes beyond words. Like when we give those we love a HUG! The church understands sacraments as gifts of God that include three things:
- Earthly Elements (Holy Baptism – water, Holy Communion – bread/wine).
- A Biblical command by Jesus (Holy Baptism – “Go into all the world and baptize,,,,,,,,,” Matt. 28
- Holy Communion – “Take and eat, this is my body, take and drink this is my blood” Matt. 26.
- The Heavenly benefits of: “The forgiveness of sins, life, and salvation” Martin Luther
FIRST COMMUNION INSTRUCTION: Jesus recognized the genuine ability of children to receive God’s gifts of faith. Watching and listening and following the example of parents, grand-parents, and other Christian adult mentors is perhaps the best way our children learn faith practices and faithful living. The church offers assistance by teaching the history and the promises of Holy Communion to children 3rd grade and above. Below is the schedule for this instruction:
- Sunday, March 2nd: 5:30 PM - PARENTS and CHILDREN – First Holy Communion supper – Luther Hall Family Activity Center
- Sunday, March 9th: 10:15 AM – Children meet with pastors in SS classroom
- Sunday, March 16th: 10:15 AM – Children meet with pastors in SS classroom
- Sunday, March 23rd: 10:15 AM – Children meet with pastors in SS classroom
- Sunday, March 30th: 10:15 AM – Children meet with pastors in SS classroom
- Sunday, April 6th: 10:15 AM - Children meet in Sanctuary for “hands on” instruction
- Thursday, April 17th: 7:00 PM - Maundy Thursday Worship in Sanctuary - Reception of First HC. Please meet 20 minutes early for pictures and final instructions.
Call Pastor John or Pastor Craig if you need further information
“Jesus loves the little children…” While we have one paid nursery attendant on duty each Sunday we often have more little ones than one person can handle. Any teen or adult, parent or grand-parent who loves children is welcome. Speak to the nursery attendant or indicate your interest on your worship attendance sheet and we can add you to the schedule.